Monday 9 March 2009

The Return of Doctor Fluxus

I had hoped to put off this bit of my past until later, for my relationship with Doctor Theophrastus Fluxus is a difficult one, but my friends have wanted to see the return of his Alchemickal Theatre, and I promised to see what I could do. To my utter mortification he has managed to insult nearly everyone I know. Enjah thinks him a charlatan, Osprey considers him dangerous, and HBA is ready to run him through on his enormous....
In fact I did not expect him to heed my call as we did not part on the best of terms. For many years I was his student and acolyte. He bamboozled half of Asia, but he protected me from harm and taught me much worth knowing, though more from his bad example than from his good.
His origins are a mystery, and if you listen to his voice, there's a blend of strange accents; not a one sounds genuine. I cannot say with certainty if he is man or ghost, or even male or female. No one has seen him without his mask or out of his cloak. His own proclivities are perhaps best left unexamined!
He claims arcane knowledge and alchemical powers, and like me he is several centuries old, yet he has the wisdom of a bug and is always getting into scrapes, usually of his own making, and I don't know why I always agree to rescue him. I suppose he is the only one left with whom I share much of a past, so for good or for bad, I count him a friend. He can annoy a saint, but he's a fascinating creature.

3 comments:

Osprey said...

/me wishes to escape the dungeon of elemental matter. It captivated me then and it captivates me now.

This will be filmed, and in a way that will echo its rising drama in a visual way. /me goes off to experiment with gamma.

Enjah Mysterio said...

If you count him as your friend, he is my friend as well, though I have misgivings.

HeadBurro Antfarm said...

I admit to a chill along my spine as I listened to wax cylindar recording of his voice... ye gods! It must take an... unusal man to have helped you as he did, but I never thought for a minute... ye gods....